Monday, February 1, 2010

Launch

So here it is. The place where I promise not to talk about biking. If you want to hear about biking, go here.

If you want to read about some other, much more interesting, stuff, keep going.

Balance:

My big thing for 2010 is Balance. I am, as the Mexican puts it, REALLY F$@!ING INTENSE. I find something I like (bike racing, Swedish mystery novels, eating entire bags of coconut flakes while watching basketball), it becomes all consuming. As a result, I get really good at one thing at the expense of almost everything else in my life.

I guess I do have to talk about cycling. Just for a moment. For the last four years, my life has revolved around training for some sort of endurance event. I started out as a triathlete, then moved into bike racing two years ago when I hurt my shoulder and decided, as a general rule, that running sucks. Turns out I am a pretty good bike racer. So, for almost two years, my life revolved around bike racing.

Several things happened that made me realize that this was not a sustainable life strategy.

First, because I don't get paid to race my bike, I have to hold down a civilian job. Currently, I make my living as a lawyer. Law school seemed like a good idea at the time. But here I am, six years later, pretty much unsatisfied by the life that I live from 8-5, Monday through Friday. That lack of satisfaction became paralyzing. Amateur bike racing is a good distraction. but it is only that: a distraction. Changes need to be made.

Second, while out just looking to get laid, I ran head first into the person that I plan on spending a lot of time with for the foreseeable future. As he graciously pointed out to me a few days go, my professional and spiritual ennui is not just about me anymore, it is also about how it effects this other person in my life. Guilt immediately ensued and I realized that by not getting my shit together, I could be jeopardizing this relationship.

Third, I really need to practice writing something other than race reports.

So I am going to try my hand at writing about:

Beats: I love music. I am not musical and will never impress anyone with my knowledge of the origins of garage punk in the 1990s. However, like most people that have seen "Garden State," I am constantly cultivating a soundtrack in my head. Try Track 1 on The XX album for commuting in the rain.

Books: I also love to read. My taste is all over the map. I am currently finishing the English translation of "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and Chris Carmichael's "The Time-Crunched Cyclist." And will attempt to write about both of them, coherently, here.

Booze: This encompasses both my love for a good drink and the never-ending quest for excellent nachos.

And all the rest of the BS. Like how Portlanders are insane about their dogs. Or when I mess with people's sense of space in elevators. Or why I shouldn't have eaten that entire bag of coconut flakes.

2 comments:

  1. Dude read anything and everything by Jhumpa Lahiri; you can thank me later.

    ReplyDelete